What are dry eyes?
Symptoms of dry eyes usually affect both eyes and can include:
- eyes feeling gritty
- eyes feeling sore
- redness of the eyes
- eyelids feel sticky when you wake up
- temporary blurred vision that is corrected by blinking
Often, without treatment, symptoms will get progressively worse as you go through the day.
What causes dry eyes?
There are a number of causes that can lead to dry eyes including:
- Age – the older we get, the less tears we produce
- Some medications
- Physical damage to the outer part of the eye or eyelid from disease, injury or surgery.
- Eyelid inflamation
- Exposure to air conditioning can cause dry eye symptoms.
Our optometrists can assess your dry eye condition and can offer a range of treatment options that will help to alleviate symptoms.